Saturday, July 23, 2005

What I Loved - Siri Hustvedt



Picked up the book at a 2nd hand shop in Queenscliff. Never heard of the author - but intrigued by review snippets: "genuinely disturbing urban thriller....compelling right through to riveting...mesmerizes, arouses, disturbs."

It was evocative, and I felt immersed in this man's life, his loves, the people. But there were sections when I wished it'd just get a move on and not dwell in such excruciating detail on the artist's work. Quite riveting in parts, especially around the mystery of the young boy's character and what he grew up to be. After reading a few NY writers, I think the writing leaves me feeling hollow. Entertained while reading, but hollow and sad when finished. I felt the same with Tama Janowitz's "A Certain Age: A Novel".

No comments:

Post a Comment