Friday, March 16, 2007

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger


I just realised that I left out a whole lot of audiobooks I've "read". Rather than go back & list all of them - eeek, a daunting thought - I'll just list a few noteables now & then. I "read" this 3.5 years ago - the feelings it evoked still stay with me. Henry is prone to spontaneous time travel, a genetic problem. He first meets Clare on a time travel trip when she's 6 and he's 35. Starting in his mid thirties, he travels chaotically back & forth in time, but Clare travels forward steadily in time. So in "real time" when she accidentally meets him for the first time, he's only 28 and she's in her early 20s. At 28, he hasn't started time travelling yet, but she has known & loved him since she was 6! He doesn't recognise her! Confusing? It's a gorgeous book, so inventive, heart-wrenching, and bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment