Thursday, April 05, 2007

We need to talk about Kevin - Lionel Shriver


I expected much, with all the glowing reviews. I don't know where I got the idea from but I had thought it was based on a true story, but I realised once I started that it was fiction. I struggled at first with the verbose writing style - I found myself starting on a half dozen other books (diversion?) during the early part. The pace quickens to a horrific climax, but I thought that Kevin was too out and out evil to be believable - hard to imagine a 4 yr old child with such malice and cunning, who's so consistently evil as he grows up, and on the other hand, hard to imagine a more stupid father who so blindly sees only the best in his malignant son. Still, I did enjoy this book overall for its dense emotionality and complexity.

No comments:

Post a Comment